Restoration of Jewish Heritage Sites
Restoration of Kalkara Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Kalkara dates back to the end of the 18th Century and is the only material vestige of the Jewish presence in Malta during the Modern Period. In 2003, the Kottonera Rehabilitation Committee, in collaboration with the Jewish Community of Malta and the Archeology Services Co-operative Ltd, commenced a project of preservation and presentation of the cemetery. This effort must be prolonged and the site restored in order to make it accessible to the general public and shed light on this important part of Maltese history.
Restoration of Marsa Jewish Cemetery
The Marsa Jewish Cemetery was established in December 1879 – after Ta’ Braxia Jewish Cemetery reached its full capacity. It was designed by the English architect Webster Paulson. It is adjacent to the Turkish Military Cemetery and is currently the only burial site of the Maltese Jewish Community.
Its façade, built in a neoclassical style, is in urgent need restoration. The budget is estimated to be €40,000.